1 Choose ALL the correct answers. Then tick the sentences where the relative pronoun can be omitted.
…X... The girl who / which / that you were speaking to was obviously very smart.
. . . 1. I read the film who / which / that you told me about.
. . . 2. We ate at Maxim's, who / which / that has the best steaks.
. . . 3. The film who / which / that you are watching is boring.
. . . 4. My father is visiting my uncle, who / which / that lives in a nursing home.
. . . 5. Anyone who / which / that wants to enter the museum must buy a ticket.
. . . 6. Aloysius bought a new car who / which / that was made in Corea.
2 Combine the sentences using a relative pronoun. Make any necessary changes. Put the relative pronoun between brackets () if you can omit it.
1. The woman won the science prize. She lives in front of me.
2. They love the house. Aloysius painted it.
3. Sheldon Cooper is the tallest man in his flat. He lives with Leonard.
4. She returned to visit the village. She was born there.
5. A man is the company secretary. He is bilingual.
6. That mountain is the most beautiful mountain in the world. You can see it through my window.
7. A man decided to visit London. He studies English.
3 Write sentences with the words below.
1. she / she / that / bought / the dog / gave / him
2. woman / teacher / married / is / Aloysius / a / who
3. buys / which / Peggy / are / products / environmentally-friendly
4. station / near / the hotel / nice / the / which / very / is / is
5. when / women / there / vote / a time / couldn’t / was
5 a) Write an essay (100-120 words) expressing your opinion on the following:
Hollywood films are the best in the world
Don't forget to start with an introduction, followed by the body and a conclusion. In your essay you have to use the following elements:
1 Relative clause, 1 modal verb, 1 indirect speak sentence, 1 'also', 1 'furthermore', 1 'in my opinion'.
b) Complete the following table with the elements you have used.
Relative clause modal verb indirect speak sentence also furthermore in my opinion